Williams College Employee Handbook
The vast majority of jobs at Williams require staff to be on campus to serve the faculty, staff, students, alumni, and others who make up the College community. In some extraordinary cases it is recognized that there may be jobs that might lend themselves to a part-time telecommuting arrangement.
The Telecommuting Policy is developed to guide the employee, the supervisor, the department head, senior staff, HR and OIT through a process that is consistent and mutually beneficial to all parties involved.
Telecommuting is a pre-arranged, regularly scheduled, mutually agreed upon work-at-home arrangement for one or more days per week. Telecommuting arrangements are considered on an individual basis as the work permits. They are reviewed and evaluated periodically by the employee and the supervisor.
A written proposal must be prepared by the employee. The proposal will be submitted to the department head. Upon approval by the department head, it will be forwarded by the department head to the department's senior staff member, Human Resources (HR), and the Office for Information Technology (OIT). HR and OIT will submit their input on the impact of the arrangement directly to the department head and the member of senior staff.
Approval is at the discretion of the supervisor, the department head and the member of senior staff to whom the department reports.
A Telecommuting Agreement will be formalized upon approval of the proposal.
- A formal schedule, specific hours and days of the week, needs to be identified and followed.
- Telecommuting is a structured, on-going, work arrangement. It is not to be used to provide care for family members nor the occasional need to work from home.
- A review period should be established with regular, defined evaluations by both the employee and the supervisor to determine effectiveness of the arrangement. Success will be measured based on quality of work and internal and external client feedback. The agreement can be revoked at any time by either party.
- In the event the employee in the telecommuting agreement leaves the College the agreement is terminated.
- The supervisor reserves the right to visit the work site during the work day with prior notice to the employee.
- Any equipment provided by the College as part of this agreement is for College purposes only. No additional equipment will be provided by OIT beyond standard deployments. This section needs to be specifically reviewed by HR and OIT.
- The College is not responsible for expenses associated with working at home; heat, electricity, Internet Service Provider, phone, etc.
- The employee is responsible for the security of all College related information. Confidentiality policies at the College are also effective at the home work site. Electronic data protection should be discussed with IT staff.
Approved: July 2011