Williams College Employee Handbook
New Employee Orientation and Onboarding
From the moment they get an offer letter through their first 6 months of employment, Human Resources strives to provide new employees and their managers with the resources they need to succeed.
The goals of the orientation and onboarding process are threefold:
- Productivity: Help the employee get up and running smoothly and rapidly
- Engagement: Help the employee feel happy with their decision to work at Williams, and excited about their future here.
- Performance Development: Segue the new employee into Williams’ Performance Development program.
There are several components to the orientation and onboarding process at Williams:
- A new employee checklist guiding the new employee through their first 6 months at Williams
- A Manager’s Onboarding Checklist, providing managers with the resources and information they need to help the new employee make a successful transition to Williams.
- An initial 1:1 orientation during the first three days of employment at which time employees learn about and enroll in their benefits, complete the necessary payroll forms, and receive their employee ID card and parking permit.
- A quarterly group orientation program, in which employees are invited for a morning to learn “More about Williams” and work and be part of a small, residential, liberal arts institution.